Born at Headingley, Leeds and studied part-time at Slade Scool 1937-9. Worked at Leach Pottery in St Ives 1944-5, where he met artists of the St Ives School. Moved to West Cornwall permanently in 1956. Exhibited in London at Redfern Galleries from 1947-58 and Waddingtons from 1960. He won the John Moore's Exhibition Grand Prize in 1959 and a silver medal at the VIII Bienal de Sao Paulo, 1965. Works can be found in many major public collections, including Tate Gallery and Victoria & Albert Museum.